Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Journey

Today was the first day of clinical of my last semester of nursing school. I woke up at 0600, got on a new bus a little before 0700, and was at the hospital by 0810. If you're wondering about the military time, occasionally I use it because I'd like to be comfortable in implementing it in hospital notes. And, you know, i want to be cool.
A lot of things happen in a day. Start with the bus ride, for instance. Small thing, right? Sort of. Only because it was a new bus route that had to get me where I was going on time. I don't know why this makes me nervous, but it does. So I woke up several times last night. The bus, when I got on it, took me north on 16th street - I don't usually go that way. It was foreign, and I observed the people around me, wondering why they had to go north today. Only because my intuition tells me that south is the way to go from 16th street and spring rd. When I got to Silver Spring station, where I was to change buses, I looked around and admired the organization. The different "bays" are actually stops along the sides of the street that are assigned letters. Not what I was expecting at all, but plainly still quite functional. I walked up to the bus I thought I wanted, the J2, and asked the bus driver if he was going to the hospital I wanted, and he said "Kinda sorta." So I asked if i should wait for another one, and he laughed and said, "no, they go to the same place." "Kinda sorta?" I asked. "I mean, yes," he said with a smile. He was very pleasant, more pleasant than metro bus drivers tend to be so early in the morning. He made me feel connected for the first time today.
The bus ride was long, and this particular route took a lot of different turns that seemed to be going in a circle around Bethesda. Thankfully I wasn't in a rush. I sort of looked around to judge if riding my bike there will be worth it. Not sure. Maybe between the bike and the metro it would be.
I got the hospital and had the clinical day. And it went on like this, with many details, many kind people, and many interactions.
And the point is - I am not completely with it. I am not completely connected to my day. I am distracted, because things, as always, are going on. I'm trying to get health insurance so that I'm not paying for a year-long subscription with the school. I'm waiting for my loan reimbursement to come through. There is a credit company who thinks my credit sucks and has caused me to lose a credit card and possibly be denied a loan. My Grampy is dying, and I'm going to see him this weekend, missing the first flag football game, a night of work, a return from Baltimore, and good study time. My sister's baby shower. Studying - there are so many different things to do that it's difficult to know where to start. I'm pretty sure I will not be able to waste time for much longer.
So. Start. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment